Saturday, February 11, 2006

Squash Shame

I know that all of you who read this would never judge me (too much) or laugh at my pain (too loudly), but I fully give you permission to now. I am going to make sorry excuses for myself but this is the blog of shame today.

I decided to enter into a squash tournament. Some of you know that I started playing a few months ago, which means you also know that I stink. But I love it and thought that it might be fun. Besides... we were given T-shirts! I played an awesome game last night and made a couple of new friends to boot. I did lose but it was a fair match. And the only injury that I sustained was a self-inflicted large and painful bruise on my left thumb from where I hit it with my racquet. I never once claimed to be the most co-ordinated person!! Sometimes I feel like my parents wasted a whole lot of money on all those years of dance lessons. Today I had to play Kate-Lyn. Kate-Lyn is 12. TWELVE!! And she has been playing for 4 years. I had never heard of squash when I was kid other than it being something that I didn't really want to eat! But there were piles of kids with amazing coaches and wicked back-hands. Sure enough, my little tiny opponent kicked my butt. Shameful. Fortunately I was not the only one who lost to someone almost 20 years my junior. The ref for my game was in his 50's and lost to an 11 year-old! Ouch.

So, I was publicly humiliated by a runt, made some awesome new friends so I now have new practice buddies, and even got a racquet bag!! I've been meaning to buy one but haven't been able to justify the cost, and one of the girls that I met happened to win one. She also happened to have just a bought a brand new shiny one yesterday. I told her that she should go return the one she bought and keep the new one seeing as it was pretty nice. She said that she really liked the one she bought and offered to give me the won one because she knew that I didn't have one! How nice is that! A perfect stranger. I thought that that was pretty friendly.

So for those of you who have promised to play with me and haven't (for fear of getting your butts kicked by me!) you can now be assured that you will most likely win... and you don't even have to give me anything!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heheh. Go you! Ever thought of asking one of those kids to coach you? ;)

Nothing to be ashamed of being beaten by someone playing for more years than you (in spite of age) - at least you weren't one of those types complaining that kids shouldn't be allowed to enter, since god forbid, they beat you. I see *way* too much of that in my sport.

Congrats on even entering the tournament (and your new bag! :) )

-K.

1:38 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home