Monday, August 25, 2008

An almost stressless camping weekend

This past weekend Eric and I decided to leave the hustle and bustle of the city and hide out in the woods for a weekend to unwind. Sounded like a super idea.

We left Friday after work to Cross Lake Provincial Park a couple hours northwest of Edmonton with lovely blue skies, a tent trailer packed with yummy food, and super excited to have 2 whole days of some serious relaxing.

We were toodling along enjoying the scenery and CRACK! What the....? We pulled over and see a rather large hole in the back window of the truck. So, out goes the dog so as not to get glass in his paws, out goes the rest of the window to make the vehicle driveable, and up goes the schwanky orange towel to protect the previously mentioned pooch.





So, unpleasant as that was we piled back into the newly air-conditioned truck and started back on the road. Might I add, it was a gravel road. Not 100 meters after the window blew out.... BAM! Seriously?! What the heck?! Off we pull over again and discover that the right rear tire of the trailer has blown out. Fortunately we had a jack and a spare and my manly Blue did the job of changing the tire to get us back on the way.




Not too long later we arrived at the campground which was beautiful. We picked a perfect site that was spacious, well-treed and not too far from the lake. We had a yummy supper of pita pizzas, read for a bit and crawled into bed.

I passed out after exhausting my poor little brain with a sudoku puzzle and was startled when I heard Eric getting up in the middle of the night. I looked at my watch and saw that it was 3am. What?! Then I heard. The party next door that we weren't invited to. With the noise sounding like it was on our doorstep. Oh well. I grunted, rolled over, and promptly went back to sleep while poor Blue tossed and turned for the rest of the night. The next day we had a yummy breakfast, didn't do much of anything as it was too windy to fish and just generally chilled out. And then it was bed-time again. Smart Blue put in ear-plugs but I figured it would be fine. Especially because when we first got there the park ranger assured us that it was a quiet camp-ground. I over-worked my brain by staring at numbers and promptly dropped off to sleep. Next thing I knew I was startled awake by screaming and yelling at midnight. I spent the next 45 minutes trying to calm my heart down as I listened to the most vicious and drunken fight I've ever heard. By myself. Because Blue was fast asleep. I hated him and his ear-plugs a little then!

When morning came we decided that we weren't really hungry so we just packed up and headed home. Fortunately with no incidents.

All in all, it was a relaxing weekend where we saw some water bomber planes doing their exercises, did some reading and puzzles, ate some yummy food and got to breathe some fresh air. Can't beat that!!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home